Many of us romance readers wish we had the same things the heroines we read about get: a beautiful man who adores us, a close community of friends, fantastic sex, and a guaranteed happy ending.
But a tweet from Lauren Plude, editorial assistant at Grand Central Publishing, got me thinking. Lauren wrote: “One of the many reasons I sometimes wish I was a romance heroine–they never seem to have to wait for AM laundry delivery.”
Since I read that while working on a really annoying project, I started thinking about all the little blessings romance heroines have in their lives.
Forget the hot heroes; these are the real reasons I wish I were a romance heroine:
1. They never have to scrub toilets, grout or bathroom caulking.
2. Their hero is always willing to pitch in with dishwashing—often insisting on it without even being asked (unthinkable!).
3. If I were a Harlequin Presents heroine, I could own an art gallery in Sydney without actually having to work hard at managing it while I run around with my billionaire lover.
4. I’d have friends with exactly the skills and experience I’d need to rely on for every problem in my life.
5. Perhaps most importantly, though, nine hours at the office could be glossed over in a paragraph.
What are the little blessings that make you envy romance heroines?